Sunday, May 20, 2012

My Uzi Weighs A Ton: Cigar Review

PROFILE:
  • Drew Estate Subculture Studio
  • San Andreas Maduro Wrapper
  • Ecuadorian Connecticut Binder
  • Brazilian Mata Fina Filler & Nicaraguan Leaf
A fellow sistah of the leef out of New York sent this beauty to me some 3 weeks ago. So very proud I've restrained myself from smoking it until today. But I couldn't hold off long enough to snap a pre-light photo but as soon as I returned to my senses I snapped a shot. ;)

Pre-light:
Ok, this IS a beauty and a beast of a cigar if you ask me! My Uzi comes dressed in a milk chocolate maduro wrapper, an oily sheen with ample veins throughout. Soft to the touch which isn't a problem as it's nicely filled out with tobacco. Clipping the cap is easy with a guillotine clipper. Scents of hay and earth dominate along with an interesting surprise of fresh raisins.

First 1/3:
I'm smoking the 6x60 and it comes out the gate with copious amounts of smoke producing a nice thick salt and pepper ash. The flavor profile is mild with quiet hints of grass and tobacco which can fool one into thinking this stogie is rather sedate but I prefer to call it "easy going" providing a buttery smooth finish light and clean. Burning a bit unevenly with potential to self correct...we'll see right? ;)

Second 2/3:
As I continue to travel down the road with MUWAT an uneven burn does not correct itself for some reason but it's holding its ash like a champ. Flavors are resting well  into the mild to medium range with the Ecuadorian Connecticut binder I'm sure contributing to this. Gotta admit though, I'm expecting a bit more body from this cigar at this point and it's not there even when back haling the smoke up my nose, something is missing.

Conclusions:
I absolutely adore Drew Estate cigars, particularly their Liga Privada, Natural, (Irish Hops, English, Dark Angel)  and ACID cigars among others but I think they overshot this one. With such a name, I expected a more imposing  stick with complex flavor and body. Kind of fell flat for me as I appreciate a mild cigar that brings a bit more to the table. Should be renamed : "I Thought My Uzi Weighed A Ton."The MUWAT stayed in first gear the entire time missing on the transition by returning within itself never branching out. Don't get me wrong, it's not a crap cigar just a bit boring.  And I'll add a lifeline here; maybe a bit more time in my humidor could expose a better smoke. I'd be willing to purchase one or two to find out.

Final thought: Not as impressed, would much prefer a Baccarat.

No comments:

Post a Comment